Yo me cuido began as a way to honor Latinas who have fought against breast cancer, so their struggle was not in vain.
The main objective of the program is to motivate Latinas to:
- Visit their doctor on a regular basis for routine testing
- Begin mammogram screenings at age 40*
- Schedule a clinical breast exam:
- For women ages 20 to 39, at least every 3 years
- For women ages 40 and older, every year
- (Optional) Start at age 20, knowing and understanding the benefits and risks of breast self exams. If you notice any changes to the breast please consult your doctor.
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Exercise regularly
- Eat a healthy diet, including 5 or more servings of fruits and vegetables per day, chosing whole wheat products, and limiting their consumption of red and processed meats.
- Not smoke
*Some women may need to get a mammogram earlier than 40 years of age depending on their family or medical history. Please speak to your doctor about getting screened.